Selected Items[Remove All]

Available Items[Add All]


Florida Work Experience Program

The Florida Work Experience Program (FWEP) is an employment program funded by the State of Florida and administered by the Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment at the University of Miami. The FWEP allows eligible students the opportunity to gain meaningful work experience in their academic field while completing their college education. It also provides participating employers with a valuable student work force.


  • Student must have demonstrated financial need as a result of completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid Form (FAFSA).
  • Student must meet Florida's residency requirements for receipt of state student financial aid by maintaining Florida residency for purposes other than education for a minimum of 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of class of the academic term for which funds are requested.
  • Student must be in good academic standing and must maintain a 2.0 minimum GPA for all college work.
  • Student must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
  • Student must enroll as an undergraduate student in a degree program for a minimum of six credit hours.

Employers can formally express consideration for the FWEP by contacting the Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment. Acceptance in the program is based on the type of employment opportunity offered by the employer and the availability of state funds.

Students can apply for the FWEP by visiting the Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment. Job openings are made available on JobX. Eligible students will be referred to the prospective employer for an interview.

Once an employer has agreed to hire the student, the student must be assigned to the position. The student will complete and sign the FWEP assignment form.

The employer will then be sent three (3) copies of the FWEP contract and the FWEP assignment form. The assignment form must be completed and returned to the Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment along with the three singed copies of the FWEP contract. One of these will be returned to the employer once approved by the University of Miami, the other two will be kept on file at UM.

The FWEP is designed so that seventy percent (70%) of the student's gross salary is covered by FWEP, and the other thirty (30%) is paid by the employer.

The employer hires the student and completes all the necessary payroll paperwork including Immigration Verification, Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate (W-4), ect. And pays the student on an hourly basis in accordance with their established payroll practices.

Employers will receive a packet of FWEP information that includes a sample time sheet. The time sheet covers a two week period, which should be used to record student hours worked, rate of pay, and compensation. Each paycheck a student receives should have a corresponding time sheet. Each time sheet should have a photocopy of the corresponding paycheck stapled to the back.

Time sheets should be mailed or delivered to the Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment on a timely basis (about every month). UM will not honor time sheets turned in thirty (30) days after the end of an assignment period.

Based on the information listed on each time sheet, the employer will be reimbursed for seventy (70%) of the student's gross earnings. For example, if a student earns $200.00 a month, the employer will receive a $140.00 reimbursement.

Employers can expect to receive reimbursement by the end of each month. The reimbursement check will be mailed to the employer. Questions regarding the checks should be addressed to Maria Pavon at 305-284-6641 or at