Selected Items[Remove All]

Available Items[Add All]



Employment Programs


On-Campus Employment Programs

On-Campus employment programs for students include Federal Work Study, Student Assistant, Lead Miami (formerly Miami Commitment) and Graduate Assistantships.

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS), including Community Service Work Study (CSFWS), is a federally funded financial aid program awarded to students based on their eligibility determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and other financial aid criteria. The FWS program subsidizes 60% of the student’s total award and the hiring department is charged for the remaining 40%. Jobs meeting the Federal Work Study Community Service requirements1 are subsidized at 75% and the hiring department is charged for the remaining 25%. 1. To qualify for Community Service FWS, job duties require that the student-employee is engaged directly or indirectly (support capacity) in services designed to improve the quality of life for community residents (not to mean the institution community- except for services provided directly to students with disabilities enrolled at UM), particularly low-income individuals, or to solve particular problems related to the needs of disadvantaged or disenfranchised populations.

For more detailed information on the Federal Work Study program, please click here.

Student Assistant Program

Students without federal funding are considered Student Assistants and can find jobs in many of the same departments as Federal Work Study students. UM departments and off-campus employers pay in full for these students’ wages. Students enrolled at least half-time are eligible to participate in the Student Assistant program.

LEAD Miami Program

The Lead Miami program matches students with employers who can maximize their learning experiences on the job and mentor them over the course of their four years at UM. Students demonstrating a high level of commitment to career and leadership development are selected during the admission process to join the program. The Lead Miami program subsidizes 70% of the student’s total award and the hiring department is charged for the remaining 30%. Employers who would like to participate in the Lead Miami program should be committed to supporting a student’s career development and to a higher degree of student mentoring. To be considered, invited students must apply to the program by the published deadline.

Graduate Assistant Program

Graduate Assistantships are awarded by individual University departments and are subject to employment guidelines as specified by the hiring department and the Graduate School. Please click here for more information.




Background Check Requirement


Off-Campus Programs

The Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment offers several Off-Campus Program opportunities for students and employers. Please click on the links to learn more about our Community Service Federal Work Study and Part-Time Jobs/Internships.

Off-campus employers hire students directly and are responsible for processing all necessary paperwork. All off-campus employment opportunities are posted on JobX.

Community Service Federal Work Study

Students who have been awarded Federal Work Study are eligible to work in community service projects at local non-profit and governmental agencies. Participating agencies must have contracted with the University of Miami for the academic year. Non-profit agencies who would like to participate must contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment and complete a contract/agreement package in order to be approved for the program. These community service employers receive a 75% benefit, meaning they will pay the remaining 25% of the student’s wages.

Students may work with employers who help people meet their need for food, shelter, and health, educate people about their legal and civil rights, protect the environment or wildlife, or support social issues affecting the general welfare. The organizations may not involve sectarian instruction or other religious activities of a church, nor may involve the construction, operation, or maintenance of any portion of a facility used for sectarian instruction or religious worship.

Students with Federal Work study eligibility have the opportunity to serve as reading and math tutors under the America Reads and America Counts program. These programs work with over 30 local elementary schools and after school community agencies. The Federal Work Study program covers 100% of the tutor’s wages.

Part-Time Jobs and Internships in the Community

Off-campus jobs in the community are available to all students and they do not have to be eligible for financial aid in order to apply for these jobs. Jobs are located in the Greater Miami area. Students seeking early career-related experiences who have reliable transportation and time in their schedules are encouraged to consider off-campus jobs.

There is an array of paid internships and student employment positions that can provide field experience and networking opportunities. Off-campus employers hire students directly and are responsible for processing all necessary payroll paperwork. All off-campus employment opportunities are posted on the Canelink system.

A word about off-campus referrals: The University of Miami's Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment acts only as a referral service and makes no particular recommendations regarding employers. We make no representations or guarantees about positions listed by the office. The office is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions or other aspects of off-campus employment. Due to the volume of jobs received by this office, we are unable to research the integrity of each organization or person that lists a job with us. Therefore, you are urged to undertake the responsibility yourself. If you have any concerns or suspicions regarding the legitimacy of a job posting, please contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment immediately.

Tips for detecting a fraudulent job posting